Tweet #generationfortystory

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Continuing Education...$10, the Experience, Priceless

I am currently in the active stage passively looking for work.  By that I mean, I have a resume, but no business card; a LinkedIn account, but am not active in group dialogue; recent experience, but my references are from work a decade ago.  So, with two kids in elementary school, who have grown accustomed to a parent at home, and a family budget that would definitely benefit from two parents working, I'm feeling the pressure of finding that perfect source of second income.  The one that finds the experience from my career in the 1990's and 2000's relevant, and the appreciates the efforts I've invested  to become current with whats needed in the 2010's. Tonight, that investment was 2 hours and $10. I attended a seminar entitled "Using Social Media to Build Your Business."   I had the privilege of being in the room with six small business owners.  That alone was worth the ticket price, they've followed their dream, and are seeking knowledge to succeed.  The presentation itself was also worthwhile, covering as much as you can in 90 minutes. But, it was enough to get my creative juices flowing and fuel a strategic approach to finding freelance work, rather then settling for passively looking. Thanks TechColumbus for hooking me up with tonight's seminar at IncreaseCDC

No comments:

Post a Comment