Tweet #generationfortystory

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Love Lucy vs morning news

This morning, I randomly turned the station on the kitchen tv from my default channel with morning news, to meTV.  I wanted to spare my 9 year old the day's headlines; weather, politics, reports of kindness, followed by headlines that you simply can't (and wish you didn't have to) explain. MeTV airs I Love Lucy  at 7:30am.  Instead of watching the news, I was watching how captivated my child was by I Love Lucy. I don't know how much of it she got, but she laughed, genuinely laughed, which is how a 9 year old should start her day.  Had she been watching the news, she would have seen a girl, her age(10 actually); living in a country, 7,000 miles away; on TV, because of her forced involvement in a failed suicide bombing. Try putting that into terms a child can understand...  I know, when I was 9 or 10, I had no idea what was going on in the rest of the world.  I do remember my parents sometimes watching I Love Lucy. It makes me think that I should tune into more of the classic shows for my kids sake… and mine; after all,  I did make a resolution to laugh more.  Just because the headlines capture my attention, they don't need to and certainly shouldn't, captivate my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment